Author Topic: Scheduler/Titan TV Changing Channels  (Read 2300 times)

mdss@hotmail.com

Scheduler/Titan TV Changing Channels
« on: December 11, 2004, 02:27:02 PM »
I have a PVR-150 installed.  I am using DirectTV with a Phillips DSX-5500 receiver. I have installed the IR Blaster that came with the PVR-150.   The Phillips DSX-550 receiver using the following convension when hand keying in channel numbers.

XXX-XX

This causes problems when I try to use the WinTV scheduler and Titan TV.

When using the WinTV scheduler, I am unable to record the correct channel because at the time a scheduled recording is activated, the channel is changed by Win-TV as follows:

The channel that is currently on is re- keyed by WinTV and then the scheduled channel to be recorded by WinTV is keyed.

If I have channel 234 currently on Win-TV and then have channel 567 scheduled to record, WinTV keys the channels as follows

Because of the numbering convension on the Phillips DSX-5500,  I do not end up recording channel 567.  I end up recording channel 7 because the DSX-5500 reads the keying of the existing channel, 234 ,followed by the channel to be recorded, 567, as follows:  

234-56,7

The same issue with TITAN TV occurrs when a select "Watch" for a selected channel on the program grid.  Win-TV keys the existing channel three times and then follows that with the channel that I want to "Watch".  For instance if I am watching channel 254 and then select channel 333 to "Watch" on Titan TV", I end up with channel 33 as WIN-TV keys the channels (through the IR blaster to the DSX-5500 receiver as follows:

254-25,425-43,33

Is there any way to fix this so I can get full functionality of my WIN-TV PVR 150?  It seems that this problem is created as WinTV scheduler and TITAN TV key in the digits of the current channel before the digits of the channel to be recorded or "Watched" are keyed in.  

Any help would be appreciated.

pvr_lurker

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 09:15:16 AM »
I'm a bit confused about the "XXX-XX" format for channel numbers, since you then seem to be saying that you are using 3 digit channel numbers, not 5.

It appears the problem is that WinTV is not waiting long enough after a channel number is sent before sending another, and the settop box then thinks they are all part of the same channel entry sequence.

You have several options in BlastCFG (under Advanced Config ...)
1) try the "Send Enter after Channel" option
2) try increasing "Min digits to send"; though I think 5 is probably too many
3) set "tuning delay" long enough to allow settop to "timeout" and go to the desired channel; for example 3000 would be 3 secs.

You should be able to test any of these in BlastCFG using the "IR channel test", and repeatedly pushing the send button.
My opinions are my own. No one else takes them seriously, you shouldn't either.

mdss

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 01:33:05 AM »
I have no problems changing the channels (with either the WinTV remote or 10-key on my keyboard) when I am watching live TV.  

My Direct TV service has only three digit channel numbers.  However, the satellite receiver, Philips DSX-5500, shows the channel as three digits followed by a dash and then two more digits.

So if you use the Philips remote and punch in 1234, it will give you channel 123-40, which is not the same as 123-00, which is a real channel.  If you were to punch in six consecutive digits (123456) and then enter it would give you 123-45, 6, with channel 6 as the channel showing up on WinTV.  

This would not be a problem, except for the way WinTV scheduler keys in a channel to be recorded.  As I said before, if I am watching channel 123 and want to record 456, at the time a recording is initiated WinTV Scheduler/WinTV  keys in the current channel followed by the channel to be recorded.  So in this case, it would show on my TV the WinTV scheduler keying in 123 and then 456, which shows up as 123-45, 6 - meaning that I end up recording channel 6.

I guess a general question is
a) is this standard with WinTV - that Win TV Scheduler/WinTV  re-keys the current channel throught the blaster before keying the channel to be recorded?
b) is it standard with Titan TV that if I select watch from the menu then Titan TV sends a message to WinTV to key in the current channel 3 times prior to keying in the channel that I want to watch?

Also, a related question - when I close out WinTV and then reopen why does WinTV always revert to a default channel.  In my case, I am watching channel 202, close out of WinTV, then reopen WinTV - for a split second I see channel 202, then WinTV keys in 005, which seems to be the default channel when WinTV is opened?

pvr_lurker

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 09:11:23 AM »
Part of the problem with it resetting the channels may be that you probably have not created "channels" in WinTV for each of your settop channels.  WinTV then starts up on a "known good" channel (I'm assuming you have added ch 5 as a WinTV channel), rather than the last channel it was on.

Did you try any of the other options I suggested?
My opinions are my own. No one else takes them seriously, you shouldn't either.