Author Topic: HD PVR 'unknown device' in Windows 7 64-bit  (Read 14811 times)

mjemirzian

HD PVR 'unknown device' in Windows 7 64-bit
« on: November 13, 2009, 05:16:59 PM »
Hi I am running Windows 7 64-bit and I'm unable to install the HD PVR drivers from the official site or the newer drivers on this board.  It was running fine when I was using Vista 64-bit on the same system.  My netbook with Windows XP 32 can recognize the device and drivers just fine.

The device shows up as 'Unknown Device' in the device manager.  When I try to run HcwDriverInstall.exe it says compatible hardware has not been found.  I also couldn't manually direct windows to install the drivers by searching the driver folder.

Additionally, when I turn on the HD PVR with the USB cable attached to the Windows 7 PC, the HD PVR freezes with the blue and yellow lights on and never displays any output to the TV, and a taskbar message pops up displaying "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned."  The HD PVR operates just fine without the USB cable attached or with the USB cable attached to the netbook running Windows XP 32.

Thanks for any help.

SHS

• Administrator
  • Super Senior Member
    • SHS Unofficial WinTV-PVR & MediaMVP
Re: HD PVR 'unknown device' in Windows 7 64-bit
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 12:56:19 PM »
did upgrade over the top of vistia?.

mjemirzian

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 01:04:25 PM »
Yes it was an upgrade.

The motherboard is an intel dx58so.

SHS

• Administrator
  • Super Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 07:36:27 PM »
Rule 1 never ever do an upgrade over top an old OS it well know for headack late on.
Rule 2 also backup you files to 2nd harddrive or what you have.
Your best beat is to start with a clean install by booting off the dvd disk and doing a custom install and pre format drive by click on drive option (avdanced) with in setup menu which is the best to upgrade that way.
Yes, you can do a clean install from an upgrade DVD Windows 7 version even with Windows 7 all ready install.

intheair

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 09:08:02 PM »
I had the same issue after an upgrade to 7 32-bit.
In my case it was resolved by downloading hcwclear.exe from the hauppauge web site. It properly removes the driver.
After that you can re-install the HD PVR driver and it should work.

mjemirzian

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 09:41:22 AM »
I got Windows 7 to recognize the HD PVR by unplugging all USB devices then plugging the HD PVR in and turning the HD PVR on.  For some reason Windows 7/drivers or one of the USB devices must not be getting along (hd pvr, webcam, printer, mouse, keyboard).  I did not have to reinstall Windows.

I did try running hcwclear.exe earlier which didn't work.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 09:43:09 AM by mjemirzian »

sliceofdanny

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 09:22:12 PM »
I got Windows 7 to recognize the HD PVR by unplugging all USB devices then plugging the HD PVR in and turning the HD PVR on.  For some reason Windows 7/drivers or one of the USB devices must not be getting along (hd pvr, webcam, printer, mouse, keyboard).  I did not have to reinstall Windows.

I did try running hcwclear.exe earlier which didn't work.

The same thing happened to me. I'm running Win7 Ultimate x64 and I had to use a spare PCI USB2 card to get my other peripherals to work. HDPVR on win7 x64 doesn't seem to like any other devices on the same bus. If by chance I do get everything working, it won't survive a reboot, something will always say "could not be installed". Once I remove or power down the HDPVR and rescan devices everything magically works again.

I upgraded from XP (as full format/install) on an intel 975BX2 board, which intel doesn't officially support for windows 7. I blame the OS since I never had this problem on XP.

--
DD

jammy_fred

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 12:08:19 PM »
I am getting the same thing, I can't get this to work using the origianl CD or the updated drivers on hauppage.co.uk

I am running Windows 7 64bit on a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4 motherboard. I have never had any other operating system on this PC and the only other USB devices I am using are my logitech keyboard and mouse.

This is pissing me off, they say it is compatible with windows 7, but now I have spent £200 on the thing and it won't even work.

SHS

• Administrator
  • Super Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 12:57:45 PM »
It is compatible with windows 7 just that there maybe be something wrong with the deivce or other problen that your not seeing
Do you see it in device manager? and it just will not take the drivers?.
Maybe the problem is with Hardware ID which dosen't match the inf Hardware ID so there for the drivers will not load

soupdragon

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 08:28:07 AM »
A bit late, but I had this problem too.

Running HCWclear and rebooting and then reinstalling the latest downloaded drivers seems to fix it.

The problem seems to occur from installing older non-compatible drivers from the CD in Win 7, at least it did for me. Overwriting the existing drivers doesn't seem to work in this case it needs a clean, reboot and reinstall.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 08:29:43 AM by soupdragon »

ncsusix

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 07:26:37 AM »
I experienced the same issue. Luckily I happened to have 2 hd pvrs and I discovered it was the power supply that was causing the hd pvr to not be recognized. I switched out the power supply and it was recognized.