Author Topic: Saving MPEG in widescreen  (Read 4735 times)

jrisch

Saving MPEG in widescreen
« on: November 09, 2008, 05:12:47 AM »
I use a PVR-150 connected to a Sky+ receiver via Svideo and Composite. I want to record to disk as an MPEG, convert to DVD (I currently use NeroVision with Nero 8 or 9), and then play back via a standard DVD player. This hasn't been a problem while I used an old TV in 4:3 format. I've switched to a widescreen TV and want to set up the system to record and convert in widescreen format. The Sky+ box has been set to 16:9, and WinTV has been set the same.

I'm having difficulty finding settings that mean the MPEG from WinTV contains the widescreen image without the letterboxing black areas top and bottom of the screen, whichNV interprets as part of the pcture, and so when set to 16:9 also, gives black bars either side as well as top and bottom.

WinTV doesn't seem to record in the same aspect ratio as displayed. I appreciate any help or advice.

Regards, jrisch

SHS

• Administrator
  • Super Senior Member
    • SHS Unofficial WinTV-PVR & MediaMVP
Re: Saving MPEG in widescreen
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 07:50:47 PM »
That becuases encoder can't record in 16:9 format

jrisch

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 02:46:26 PM »
OK, thanks.

DrP

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 02:38:36 PM »
Simple solution.  Set your pay TV box for viewing on a 16:9 screen.  The Hauppauge will record it but it will be out of aspect.  Simply set the video to 16:9 in your editing app or if it can't run the .mpg file through www.videohelp.com/tools/DVDPatcher

jrisch

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 02:47:48 AM »
Thanks, DrP, I'll give DVDPatcher a go and report back.