Author Topic: Vista32/64 MCE ClearQAM Plugin Beta  (Read 76531 times)

SHS

• Administrator
  • Super Senior Member
    • SHS Unofficial WinTV-PVR & MediaMVP
Vista32/64 MCE ClearQAM Plugin Beta
« on: May 14, 2008, 11:53:46 PM »
You must have one of the falling TV cards
HVR-1250
HVR-1600
HVR-1800
HVR-2250
ftp://ftp.shspvr.com/download/mce_clear_qam/mceclearqam-plugin.zip
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 11:59:57 PM by SHS »

nalawod

Re: Vista32/64 MCE ClearQAM Plugin Beta
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 12:38:36 PM »
I can't wait to try this out!   
One question - your html page sample document shows scanning for ATSC and then scanning for ClearQAM - with no steps in between.  My understanding for the HVR-1600 is that it's the same digital tuner input for both ATSC and ClearQAM -- so in between the steps of doing an ATSC scan followed by a ClearQAM scan, you would have to unplug your HD antenna from the ATSC input, and plug in your digital cable to the ATSC input.  Right?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 12:40:26 PM by nalawod »

SHS

• Administrator
  • Super Senior Member
    • SHS Unofficial WinTV-PVR & MediaMVP
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 01:40:25 PM »
I have no idea being I don't have Vista
The Doc are from Hauppauge
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 01:42:01 PM by SHS »

luv2chill

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 03:21:27 PM »
Thanks for posting this. I gave it a shot with my HP Expresscard tuner (version 2, which is a rebadged HVR-1500 card). I installed the driver included with the ClearQAM package (it has a driver for the HP tuners specifically). Then I followed the included walkthrough. The 1500 is a hybrid tuner, not a combo, so I set up the card as ATSC only... I left all the default ATSC stations selected, even though they are not tunable since I have my cable TV connected to the coax input. I then ran the 10-foot ClearQAM scan utility and to my delight it locked 41 QAM channels. I followed it through to the last step which was rebooting. According to the instructions that was supposed to enable ClearQAM mode in the driver. However, after the reboot nothing appeared to be different. There were no additional channels added to my guide, running the clearQAM utility again just seemed to initiate a new scan, and there were no further instructions provided. I assume the next step is to map those 41 QAM channels to the guide data in media center but I don't know how to do that.

I know the HVR-1500 is not listed as supported for this driver, so maybe if I had one of the listed cards it would have taken me through some subsequent steps. I don't have any of those cards so I'm currently unable to test any further. Hopefully someone who does can let us know what happens after the reboot.

Even though it's not really working for me yet, I am very optimistic that it will work eventually with my card. The QAM scanning utility was definitely finding the clear QAM channels, but maybe the BDA driver itself must be updated to allow those channels to be used by VMC.

Hope others will give this a shot soon!

Dan

thorpee

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 04:02:09 PM »
yes i agree the documentation for this to work is a little confusing plus hybrid cards are not supported really in vmc so a more exact step by step install and guide setup would be great

im so excited about this beta !!!!!
thank god its here!

thorpee

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 08:56:50 AM »
well after great joy comes sadness i too have got it to scan  the channels but it does not map any to the guide i also get a error 13 when running the scan

any help would be great and yes i understand this is a beta but to test something i need to know what its suppose to do

im running vista with a HVR-1250 so it should be supported

this feels more like a alpha release

thorpee

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 04:28:07 PM »
some one please post if they have got this working and the steps in which they did it .. thanks in advance!

pathogen

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 09:07:30 PM »
Vista SP1 HVR 1600 74021 I got an error the first time I did it. Closed it out and repeated the scanning procedures and it worked. Besides my regular analog channels they are listed as 10XX. Good luck to everyone.

And a added note. I can record off the qam interface and watch on the analog at the same time. Ballin!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 11:02:15 PM by pathogen »

peterfnet

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 10:18:08 AM »
I am not planning on doing Win64 right now, but the "Vista Configuration Walkthrough" states "Platform: Vista 32 installation, 64bit support does not work" for MCEClearQAM 1.3.26133. 

Just an observation. I will eventually move to Win64, so I'm just trying to stay on top of my game

Edit: I was confused between driver versions and MCEClearQAM version numbers.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 10:27:05 AM by peterfnet »

bakerfall

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 08:50:38 PM »
I'm having the exact same experience, scans, reboots, nothing.  I noticed in the walkthrough it says

**** You have to read the Known Problems section to complete the install ****

I'm really curious as to what those known problems are and if it solves this.  Unfortunately, no documentation with Known Issues is included :(

burndive

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 03:13:24 AM »
I have Vista Media Center with an HVR-1250.  The driver I'm using is slightly newer than the one it says it was tested with.

I followed the guide all the way through.  When I tried it with the remote, it gave me error 13, but when I tried it with the mouse it worked.  It locked 46 channels.

I rebooted when prompted, but nothing was added to the guide.  I went through the setup again, but it didn't find anything new.  I tried manually adding channel 901, which is how my TV tunes to a high-def channel, but no dice. 

It says channels must be in a certain range (I think it was 1 to 136).  I'm using an analog guide.  I think the next thing I'll try (when I have time) is a digital guide.  It may require manual setup to digital cable mode, because it warned me when I selected the digital guide that I "may want to go back and choose a non-digital provider."

burndive

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 03:30:38 AM »
Hmmm... switching to a digital guide past Media Center's warning gave me extra channels through 999, but I couldn't tune to anything above 100, and there were no HDTV listings.

It seems it still thinks it's in analog mode.  How does Media Center configure analog vs. digital cable?

thorpee

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 09:17:05 AM »
yes i tried that too.. not sure what we are missing with the 1250 but somethings not right

luv2chill

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 01:58:32 PM »
I think the difference is that the combo tuners (2 tuners--analog + digital) are working correctly but the hybrid tuners (1 tuner--analog or digital) are not. I presume there is just a missing step or different instructions for hybrids. Hopefully Hauppauge or SHS can provide some guidance here.

kmp14

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 09:41:24 AM »
Does anyone know if this will work with 2 HVR-1800 cards in one PC.  I need 2 HD tuners!  I might give it a try.  Has anyone tried it?